Sunday, May 1, 2022

Self-Examination: Part 1

 But let every person carefully scrutinize and examine and test his own conduct and his own work. He can then have the personal satisfaction and joy of doing something commendable [in itself alone] without [resorting to] boastful comparison with his neighbor. Galatians 6:4

As my 40th birthday is quickly approaching (Lord slow it down), I've decided to take a step back, reflect, and perform a self-examination. Many times, we are extremely skilled at evaluating others. On the contrary, we seem rather incompetent when it comes to examining our own ways. In Galatians 6, the Apostle Paul admonished the Galatians to correct one another in love, not to think of themselves more highly than they ought, and to examine their ways. If we're honest, we're all guilty of finger-pointing. We're all guilty of trying to remove the speck out of our neighbor's eye rather than first removing the plank out of our own eye (Matt. 7:5). 

What planks are in your eye? Can you see them? If not, you can ask the Holy Spirit to show you. Sometimes, these "planks" are a hindrance to our progress in various areas of our lives. There is undeveloped fruit (patience, love, kindness, self-control, long-suffering, etc.) in our lives. God wants to develop the fruit of the Spirit in us. He desires for us to bear good fruit. Furthermore, we don't realize how our actions, attitudes, and behavior affect others. We don't see it because it's easier to judge and see the shortcomings of others. Other times, we do know and choose not to deal with ourselves. We have to want to be better. We have to want to grow. 

The word grace has been a running theme for me over the past few months. I kept seeing and hearing this word everywhere. In nearly every movie or tv show I watched, there was a character named Grace. In the signs I saw on the street and buildings, there was the word grace. It came to a point where it was happening so much, that all I could do was laugh. I began to ask, "God, what are you saying to me? Because at this point, it's obvious that You are communicating something to me about grace."

One of the things that I believe the Lord was/is saying to me is that there's not only grace for me, but for others. The same grace that I need and receive, I have to be intentional about extending it to others (and myself). We must understand and accept that we all have issues, hang-ups, flaws, and character defects. All of us. We have to be loving and forgiving, just as the Lord is towards us. Galatians 6:2 tells us to, "Bear (endure, carry) one another's burdens and troublesome moral faults, and in this way fulfill and observe perfectly the law of Christ (the Messiah) and complete what is lacking [in your obedience to it]." Easier said than done, but we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us (Phil. 4:13).

Before we enter the 2nd half of 2022, I encourage you to take some time to step back, reflect, and self-evaluate. Spend some time with the Lord and allow Him to show you yourself. David said in Psalm 139:23-24, "Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!" Allow the Holy Spirit to have His way and respond accordingly. If there are some areas where you need to do better, agree with the Holy Spirit, and ask Him to help you to do so. God is not a condemning God. He corrects and those whom He corrects, He loves (Heb. 12:6). 

The goal is growth. Let's grow together. 

Let us test and examine our ways, and return to the Lord!

Lamentations 3:40


Be Blessed & Stay Encouraged!💖

A.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment