Thursday, August 2, 2012

Peace Be Unto You

            You will guard him and keep him in perfect and constant peace whose mind [both its inclination and its character] is stayed on You, because he commits himself to You, leans on You, and hopes confidently in You. (Isaiah 26:3, AMP)

            I have a confession to make. Many times, I allow my peace to escape me. I often worry about the future, my present, and I sometimes wish I had made better decisions in my past. I worry about bills, new clothes, shoes, and bags. I’m concerned if I am liked or disliked, or if people smile in my face and talk about me behind my back. I worry about family members and sometimes co-workers. That’s too much worrying and not enough peace if you ask me.

            There is so much to worry and be anxious about in today’s society. People have no jobs, marriages are on the rocks, and disease and sickness is enough to make a person agonize. Nevertheless, the Bible says that God will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are stayed on Him (Isaiah 26:3). How many times do we forget that God is in control and our peace comes from Him alone?

            I recently took a trip to Jamaica. Since this was only my second time traveling by airplane, I’ll admit I had some reservations about it. At one point, I allowed fear to come into my heart. Nevertheless, as the plane took off I prayed for my safety as well as the other passengers. I also prayed for the pilot and the flight attendants. Once I prayed, I released the flight to the Lord. As the plane ascended thousands of feet into the atmosphere, my attention refocused on where I was and what was surrounding me. I saw the cotton-like clouds at a close distance. I saw the bright blue sky up close and personal. I flew over beautiful blue water thousands of feet in the air. I was on my way to a lovely island that many people in their lifetime will never see. Suddenly my fear was gone and a peace came over me as I trusted God to get me to Jamaica safely and refocused my attention.  


            The biblical definition for the word peace means a state of quiet or tranquility; freedom from disturbance or agitation, applicable to the temper of the mind. It also means freedom from internal commotion. Peace is freedom from disturbance from passions, as from fear, terror, anger, anxiety or the like; quietness of the mind; calmness; and quiet of the conscious. Do you have peace with your circumstances, who you are, and with God’s will for your life in this present season?

            God commands that we, “… be not anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present our requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard our hearts and our minds in Christ Jesus” (Phil. 4:6-7).

            Ephesians 2:14 says that, He Himself is our peace. If God is our peace, why do we allow earthly materials and circumstances to destroy our peace? Where does your peace come from? Does it come from your job position, your beautiful home or car, your spouse’s presence, your many accolades or your successful children? Suppose these things were taken away from you? Would you still have your peace and faith in God? Jesus says, “I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world. [I have deprived it of power to harm you and have conquered it for you.]” (John 16:33).

            One of my favorite scriptures is John 14:1, where Jesus comforts His followers by saying, “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me.” What are you worried about today? What issue is pressing on your heart? Believe in Jesus and trust in Him as you follow Him. Give Him your issues and release them. DO NOT take them back by worrying any longer. This is not always easy but possible. The Bible says to “Cast the whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully (1 Peter 5:7, AMP). I love God because He cares for me affectionately and watchfully. Does this sound like the kind of God that will forsake you? Release your cares and let the peace of God fill your heart and mind as I plan to do.
-Peace to you all who are in Christ Jesus. Amen 
 

1 comment:

  1. That is one of my favorite Scriptures also...I like to encourage myself and other believers with that word. Thank you for sharing this encouraging word. I will leave it in the Lord's MOST capable Hands starting now!

    ReplyDelete