Monday, September 2, 2013

God is Fair

Ecclesiastes 9:11 AMP~ I returned and saw under the sun that the race is not to the swift nor the battle to the strong, neither is bread to the wise nor riches to men of intelligence and understanding nor favor to men of skill; but time and chance happen to them all.   
          
            God is compassionate and full of mercy. He is fair and just to all (sinners & saints). He is fair to those who follow Christ and to those who do not. He blesses the just & the unjust. God’s definition of fair is much different than our understanding of the word. The bottom line is good and bad times happen to everyone. Now my first thought when beginning to understand this was, “Well God, what’s the point of obedience? Why should I go through all this trouble to serve You when You bless the unjust as well?” The answer I received was, “We are to serve God whole-heartedly. Not for profit or gain, but because He is God. Because He loves us. Because it is the right thing to do. Because we are not our own, we were bought with a price.” A very expensive price at that.
            The Bible says in Romans 2:11, that there is no partiality with God. This means that God doesn’t just give good times to those who serve Him & bad times to those who don’t. Time and chance happens to us all. A good example of this is the story of the man at the pool of Bethesda. In John chapter 5, Jesus heals a man at this particular pool. The Bible doesn’t indicate if the man was saved or believed in Christ. In fact, it proves He didn’t know who Jesus was. In verse 6, Jesus asks the man if he wants to be made well. In verse 7 the man responds, “Sir, I have no man to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up; but while I am coming, another steps down before me.” The man’s response indicates: 1. He did not know who Jesus was because he called him “Sir”. 2. He never answered by saying yes, he just gave an excuse as to why he wasn’t healed. It doesn’t matter who you are or where you are. When God decides it is your time, then it’s your time. It was this man’s time for healing after 38 years of illness. It didn’t matter to Jesus that the man did not know Him & or that he did a bunch of works in the church. It didn’t matter to Jesus that the man didn’t ask for healing. Jesus, being the compassionate and impartial God that He is healed this man.
            Sometimes I wonder why God blesses one and not the other at a particular time. I found my answer in Romans 9:14 that says, “For He says to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” In other words, God can do what He wants to do. Just because you pray, fast, serve in the church and the person next to you is willfully living in sin, doesn’t guarantee that God will answer your prayers first. He may answer the other person’s prayer to show Himself gracious which can lead to that person’s repentance. Seems unfair but God’s thoughts are not our thoughts, neither are our ways His ways (Isaiah 55:8).
            Grace is not dependent on man’s work but on God’s mercy. Romans 9:16-18 says, “So then [God’s gift] is not a question of human will and human effort, but of God’s mercy. [It depends not on one’s own willingness nor on his strenuous exertion as in running a race, but on God’s having mercy on him.] For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, I have raised you up for this very purpose of displaying My power in [dealing with] you, so that My name may be proclaimed the whole world over. So then He has mercy on whomever He wills (chooses) and He hardens (makes stubborn and unyielding the heart of) whomever He wills.” Love that Amplified Bible…
            In no way am I excusing willful sin and disobedience. It’s wrong. We shouldn’t take Gods’ grace and mercy for granted. We shouldn’t abuse His goodness because certainly God will repay us all for what we have done, whether good or bad (2 Corinthians 5:10).
            We don’t know what God is doing. However, His word says He is faithful and can be trusted. I thank God for His grace & mercy. I would not have come this far if He did not show compassion upon me. If God only blessed the “goody goodies”, most of us would not stand a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment