Monday, October 24, 2022

A Lesson in Love

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 
~1 Corinthians 13:4-7

As I continue to learn, grow, and journey with the Lord I realize love is not what I say, but it’s what I do – it’s how I treat people. As I study 1 Corinthians 13, I understand that love is not a feeling, it’s an action word. It’s a conscious decision to be patient and kind. To love means that I decide to live out this particular scripture line by line to the best of my abilities, regardless of the recipient or circumstance.

We are not responsible for how people treat us. We cannot control that. However, we are accountable to God for the way that we treat others. In Matthew 7, we learn about the Golden Rule. “So, whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets” (Matt. 7:12). If we are going to learn to love the way that Christ loves His church, we must treat people the way that we want to be treated and love, unconditionally.

I’m a flawed person, extremely flawed. When I think about God’s grace and mercy towards me, I think to myself, “How can I mistreat others because they have mistreated me? After all the wrong that I’ve done, God forgives me continually.” Loving others means: not holding a grudge, not hanging their flaws over their heads, accepting people for who they are, and praying God’s best for them – even when they mistreat you. It’s easier said than done when the mistreatment causes you hurt or pain of any kind. However, we must look to the Lord for our strength to do this thing. It’s in our weakness that His strength is made perfect (2 Corinth. 12:9).

God is love. He loves everyone. He is not partial. Matthew 5:45 says, “He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.” Honestly, this truth doesn’t always sit right with me. I always want God to vindicate me and do my wrongdoers wrong. But the reality is, He is merciful and kind. He doesn’t always repay evil with evil, and neither should we.

As I questioned God about loving and honoring others – He showed me Genesis 9 – Noah & his sons. In verse 20 we see Noah drunk, uncovered, and naked. He was a flawed man. His son Canaan saw his father’s nakedness in his drunken state. Instead of covering his father, he exposed him by telling his two other brothers. On the other hand, verse 23 says, “Shem and Japheth took a garment, laid it on both their shoulders, and went backward and covered the nakedness of their father. Their faces were turned away, and they did not see their father’s nakedness.” We see a clear depiction of how we ought to cover others even in their flaws.

1 Peter 4:8 commands, "Above all, have fervent and unfailing love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins [it overlooks unkindness and unselfishly seeks the best for others]." God is calling us to love. If there ever was a time that we needed more love, it’s now. Make a choice to love.

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing. 
~1 Corinthians 13:1-3

Be Blessed & Stay Encouraged!💜

A.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment